Seven lessons from a woman who's done it!
“There’s a special place in hell for women who don’t help each other.” – Madeleine Albright via Dorothy Engelman.
Last week’s lecture was a real milestone for Entrepreneurship 101: it was the first time in a long time a woman presented a Lived It lecture.
Lived It lectures offer a great opportunity to hear firsthand from celebrated entrepreneurs in each of MaRS’ practice areas and learn about the experience of starting up an innovative company from people who have seen it and done it.
As Owner and Senior Partner of q media solutions, Dorothy parlayed the success and expertise of her media business to change the world. She did so by creating Getinvolved.ca, a website that among other things, matches organizations with individuals who want to make a difference.
Dorothy brought to the stage energy and excitement like no other, combining her business savvy with the passion of a storyteller to relate how she became a social entrepreneur.
Her lecture was presented in a series of questions and lessons that every entrepreneur should consider while on the road to success. And if you like learning, then you’re in luck – Dorothy points out that there is no better way to continue the life-long learning process than to start your own business.
Ready to go back to school?
Seven questions to ask yourself:
- What is the value of your idea?
- Is there an entrepreneur in your DNA?
- What is your risk tolerance?
- Do you have the perseverance to make it over the long haul?
- Do you know how to collaborate?
- What do you want from your business?
- What kind of culture do you want to create?
Watch the video to learn Dorothy’s seven lessons in response to these questions:
A big thank you to Dorothy for setting an excellent example for many female ‘Lived It’ lecturers to come!
Want to know more about social innovation? Check out “Getting to Maybe”.
To watch the entire lecture, click here.
- Dorothy’s slides
- Article: “Financing Options for Social-Purpose Businesses (for-profit)”
- Video: Meet the Entrepreneurs – Social Innovation
Want to connect?
- Join the LinkedIn Group
- Follow the conversation on Twitter: #ent101
- Get updates on Vimeo
- Download the course schedule
Watch our live webcasts here.
Next week’s lecture: Go-to-Market Strategy with Jonathan Dogterom.