Position Role: Development
Position Level: Internship
Position Type: Contract
Position Location: Toronto
Application Deadline: 2018-12-21
Position start date: January 2019
This position is offered in part by the MaRS Student Work Placement program, which connects post-secondary students with work placements in technology and business.
Hey! Interested in IoT? Yeah, us too.
We’re ecobee, a proudly Canadian hardware company transforming the way energy is used in the home. As first-to-market pioneers in the connected home space, we introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi compatible thermostat. Our beautifully designed devices help reduce energy waste and carbon emissions. So, they aren’t just smart for our users—but for our planet too.
To keep that creativity and innovation going, we offer a flexible and multidisciplinary environment where designers, hardware engineers, manufacturing engineers, and software professionals collaborate.
We have the ideas, we have the passion, we have the funding, we just need the people. We are looking for tinkerers and inventors. Are you building a robot in your spare time? Or creating software or tools to simplify the lives of others, or better yet save the planet? We can’t do this alone and we would love your help.
What can you expect as a co-op?
- Monthly transit subsidy to help you get to and from the office
- The chance to meet and work with co-ops across all teams at ecobee
- An opportunity to grow with a dynamic company with personal and professional growth
- Truly meaningful work that effects our planet
- A unique field in hardware, in Toronto
- Ability to work on IoT products using new emerging technologies
- Small collaborative teams where you can impact both product and culture
- Learning opportunities supported by an education fund for every employee
- Bi-monthly all company town halls (with pizza!)
- Thursday board game nights
- Monthly demo days, and the opportunity participate in them
- Quarterly hack-a-thon, work on whatever you want!
How do you fit in?
We are looking for a Server Developer to join our team for the Winter 2019 work term!
Our Server team is packed with experienced developers who are amazing, and we guarantee that you will grow as a result of working directly with them. We use leading edge technologies to innovate highly-concurrent, Java-based server applications that directly impact ecobee’s success. You may work on deploying applications within ecobee’s infrastructure as well as AWS and Google Cloud Platform.
“Ecobee has a lively atmosphere with a great work/life balance; I got to collaborate with full-times and other co-ops on various projects and had a lot of fun overall!” – Previous Co-op
Ways you can contribute day one:
- Performance, unit testing, and debugging
- Writing scripts for automation
- Best of breed database technologies
- Asynchronous processing
- Large volume data processing
- Relational and NoSQL databases
- Fully understanding and solving complex problems
Who Are You?
- A current Computer Science, Software, Computer or Electrical Engineering student.
- Proficient at writing programs in Java.
- Good at getting that code to run on Linux-based systems.
- Eager to improve your software craft.
- Curious, thoughtful, and practical!
- Would like to make a difference in an intellectual and planet-positive environment.
- Just so you know: the hired candidate will be required to complete a background check.
Are you the one we’re looking for? If so, we would love to hear from you!
Some cool articles/links about ecobee and what it’s like to work here:
Recent Funding: https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/07/ecobee-scores-a-61-million-series-c-with-help-from-amazon
CNET Feature: https://www.cnet.com/news/inside-ecobee-thermostat-smart-home-plans-to-outsmart-nest
New Office: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej_pEKc8hxM
Co-op at ecobee: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ecobee-co-op-experience-vol-2-kenny-rozario
ecobee is committed to workplace diversity and will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
How to Apply: