Site Reliability Engineer, Co-op
Position start date: January 2019
This position is offered in part by the MaRS Student Work Placement program, which connects post-secondary students with work placements in technology and business.Hey! Interested in IoT? Yeah, us too. We’re ecobee, a proudly Canadian hardware company transforming the way energy is used in the home. As first-to-market pioneers in the connected home space, we introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi compatible thermostat. Our beautifully designed devices help reduce energy waste and carbon emissions. So, they aren’t just smart for our users—but for our planet too. To keep that creativity and innovation going, we offer a flexible and multidisciplinary environment where designers, hardware engineers, manufacturing engineers, and software professionals collaborate. We have the ideas, we have the passion, we have the funding, we just need the people. We are looking for tinkerers and inventors. Are you building a robot in your spare time? Or creating software or tools to simplify the lives of others, or better yet save the planet? We can’t do this alone and we would love your help.
What can you expect as a co-op?
- The chance to meet and work with co-ops across all teams at ecobee
- An opportunity to grow with a dynamic company with personal and professional growth
- We have a relaxed view on coding style allowing for individual expression and style.
- Truly meaningful work that effects our planet
- A unique field in hardware, in Toronto
- Ability to work on IoT products using new emerging technologies
- Small collaborative teams where you can impact both product and culture
- Learning opportunities supported by an education fund for every employee
- Bi-monthly all company town halls (with pizza!)
- Thursday board game nights
- Monthly demo days, and the opportunity participate in them
- Quarterly hack-a-thon, work on whatever you want!
- Monthly transit subsidy to help you get to and from the office
How do you fit in?We are looking for a Site Reliability Engineer Co-op to join our team for the Winter 2019 work term! Software Developers do more than just product development! At ecobee, the Site Reliability Engineering team takes a software development approach to what was traditionally called “IT” or “Operations”. Our team is responsible for all the server infrastructure for our products: physical hardware and on cloud platforms like AWS and GCP.
Ways you can contribute day one:
- You’ll use your software development skills to solve interesting challenges in performance measurement and tuning, software scalability, reliability, and security.
- We don’t like to do the same job twice – you’ll use cutting-edge tools like Kubernetes, Terraform, Prometheus, Ansible, Packer, Docker (and the list goes on…) to define reproducible and automated infrastructure.
- Your exceptional skills in Linux, and knowledge of networking and security fundamentals will help to make ecobee’s products deliver phenomenal uptime and performance for our customers
- You’ll be working directly with a software development team focused on the deployment and infrastructure for a specific product but will also get to participate in company-wide initiatives like cloud migrations and the evaluation of new tools.
Who Are You?
- A current Computer Science, Software, Computer or Electrical Engineering student.
- Experienced with using Linux systems.
- Enjoys the craft of developing software.